Google Maps is Getting Big Update (v8.0) on Android [Updated]
Update: Google Maps v8.0 update is now available on Play Store for Android devices running 4.0 ICS or higher.
Google is slowly rolling out a big update (v8.0) on its Maps app for Android, before we hit the app Wednesdays. Lately, the search giant has been quite active in introducing new apps, and updates for existing ones. These new apps and updates are: Google Camera, Docs, Sheets, Chrome Remote Desktop, Calendar, Search, Play Store, Drive, Keep and Google Now launcher is available for Android 4.4 Kitkat devices.
The update includes a heavy list of features and improvements on Google Maps app for Android. Now, you’ll see displays for distance, arrival time and quick alternate routes to your destination. The offline Maps are now easier to manage via a custom list.
When you’ve signed into your account, you’ll see a “Places to Review” list that includes the list of places you recently search or saved on Google Maps. And the transits results will now show you, how much time you’ve spend walking, or travelling on a train or bus.
Also, if you’re an Uber app user, then comparing routes has got whole lot easier for you. According to Android Police, Google didn’t include the lane assistance feature in the change-log. But you can notice it in the screenshot below.
Though, not all of the Android devices will be getting every feature. Few updates are directly induced into your current version (v7.7.0) of Maps, the updates in Italics (From below change-log) are only available for devices running Android 4.3 Jelly bean or higher. But, eventually they will be available on every device, once Google issues the support for them.
This update might take longer than usual to roll out to your device. If you’re interested to update it right now, Android Police has got a download link for you. Click here to directly download the APK file on your system.
Change-log for Google Maps v8.0 Update includes the following items:
- Turn-by-turn navigation now displays distance, arrival time, and quick access to alternate routes
- Save and manage offline maps in a custom list for when you’re traveling or have a slow connection
- Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
- Bug fixes
- Lane guidance in navigation mode (US and parts of Canada/Japan)
- Adjust and name offline maps before saving
- Search filters (price rating, open, from circles)
Screenshots: Google Maps v8.0 - Lane Assistance
Via: [Android Police]
Source: [Google Latlong Blog]